Friday, March 31, 2006

Baaaa

Wow! 72 degrees outside. Considering that today is the last day of March, that's pretty nice. When I was a kid, we always used to hear "March comes in like a lion, and goes out like a lamb." I guess 72 degrees qualifies as lamb-like. There are about a dozen goldfinches at my finch feeder, and they are looking less olive-drab, and more, well, gold . They make quite a bit of racket. Five of our cats are stuffed into the window near the feeder, and the cheeping and twittering is putting them on edge. Now, every night at dusk, I have a couple of sets of cardinals coming to my big feeder. It's amusing to watch the males pick out the best seeds and offer them to the females. It must be near mating season. During the winter, the males peck the females on the head if they try to get on the feeder. And, in the evenings, the spring peepers are peeping madly down by the stream. In the last few years, it seems like there are fewer of them. I know frogs in general are in trouble, and I guess these little guys are part of that.

Speaking of lamb, today's weather puts me in mind of knitting in some non-wool fiber. I am feeling springy today, and tired of knitting with wool. I don't know what else, though. Maybe cotton, or cotton blend, or, maybe I'll get really wild and knit with a completely non-natural fiber. I'm going to go though my stash and see what I have. I haven't looked in a good part of my stash for about three years, so whatever I find will be a surprise, although not necessarily a good one. I have some knitting books, so maybe I can find a spring cardigan or light sweater to knit. Nothing without sleeves. My upper arms haven't seen the light of day in quite a while, and will continue to hide until I manage to lose some weight and firm up (ha). Somehow or another, I suspect we will be ice-skating in hell before that happens.

Knitted more last night on those effing Southwestern socks. I swear, I think one of the cats is ripping them back after I go to bed. I could have sworn I was way further along on them.

Today, I don't know what I should do. I really should go outside and continue to rake all the leaves off the flower beds. I have two modules on postpartum nursing and newborn nursing to read and test on. I should continue to defur my couch and floors. I should brush all the cats, and the dog, so I don't have to continue to defur my couch and floors. It never fails to amaze me that cats who spend the winter snoozing in front of the heat vents can continue to grow a winter coat. No matter now much I brush the furballs, it just seems like there's still a ton of cat fur everywhere. All of us have lint rollers in our car, just to make sure that we don't go to work looking like a cat.

I have the whole weekend, plus today, off from work. I haven't had three days in a row off from work in years. Hell, I haven't had three days off, period. I worked in delivery for a newspaper for nearly ten years, which meant I was up at 4:30 or earlier 365 days a year. I can get used to this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home