Friday, May 19, 2006

Enough With the $%#&*!! Rain, Already

Holy cow!! What the heck happened? For a while, we were having a normal, if slightly dry spring. Then it started raining. And raining. And raining some more. My front yard is so squishy, I can sink up to my ankles in some spots. Beyond my backyard, there is a lake forming in my neighbors yard. And, if it's not raining, it is murky and damp. When I woke up this morning, we were having the usual monsoon, punctuated by passing thunderstorms, which made it rain even more, if that's possible. Then, all of a sudden I noticed something weird. A strange light coming in the window. What he hell? Oh, yeah, that's the Sun. Silly me, I thought it had stopped raining. I had errands to run, so I figured this would be a great time to get them done, without having to come home and change out of soaked clothes. Off I went. When I entered the Cingular store, the sun was out. I did notice that there was a very large, very black cloud on the horizon. By the time I came out of the store less than 10 minutes later, the skies had opened up, and the parking lot looked like a river. Aarggh. Slogged across the lot, and dove into my car. By the time I drove to Superfresh, it was really raining, and there was another thunderstorm right on top of us. Waited in the car for a few minutes to see if it would stop, gave that up as a lost cause, and dashed into the store. Arrived in store looking like a drowned rat. Left store to find it had stopped raining, again. Decided to fortify my soggy self with a hot coffee, since I was freezing from standing in an air-conditioned store while soaking wet.

On the other hand, my plants are loving this. Everything is growing at an incredible rate. My gardens look so green and lush. The hostas survived the hailstorm the other day with only minor damage. The pots on my porch have suffered somewhat, because the rain gutters overflowed into the pots. it was like Niagra falls out there. Unfortunately, the grass is growing, too. It's too wet to mow, so my yard has that jungle look to it. I hope it'll dry out long enough to mow.

Not too much knitting again. I did some more on Clapotis. it irks me no end that i had so much done on it before I ripped it. Truth to tell, it would have been ok as it was, but I just wasn't looking for a shawl that was the size of an afghan. I've been trying to get my stash organized. I don't like having a large stash. I know a lot of people will wonder what that's about, but I don't have the money, time, or room to do a large stash. To that end, I've been selling some Opal, Regia, and Rowan Magpie Tweed that I know I will never get around to knitting. Along with selling a lot of NCLEX stuff, I made enough money to get a digital camera without even touching my paycheck. That's a nice perk for me.

I worked a twelve hour shift yesterday. It was very busy, with quite a few births. I'm almost off orientation, and I will go back to nights in a few weeks, and I'm happy about that. I really hate getting up at 5 am. I did that for many years with my other job, and now I'm ready to do a later day. I'm wondering if I will be able to sleep in the day during the summer. The people behind us are very noisy (log-splitters, chain-saws, radios turned up full blast, etc), so that may be a problem. On the other hand, when I'm tired, I really sleep. I was pooped when I came home last night. I fell asleep on the couch for two hours before going to bed.
I'm working all weekend, so I'm pretty sure I won't be doing much knitting.


Post a Comment

<< Home