Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Tiny Bubbles...Not From Hawaii



Yay!! I've made some progress on my Creatures of the Reef shawl. I finally got past the interminable row 10 with all 17 frillion yarn overs. I did come out of it with most of my sanity, some nice seashells, and one dropped stitch!! Aack!! I am so not going to unravel this thing down again. I have the stitch on a paperclip, and I will decide how best to fix it at a later date. I'm thinking I might just tie it on with a small length of yarn and work in the ends. Between the varigation of the yarn and the general busyness of the pattern in this spot, I might be able to pull it off. Ordinarily the anal retentive part of me would be ripping this sucker off the needles to correct it, but I cringe at the thought of doing all those effing yarn overs again. Once was enough, thankyouverymuch. Right now, I am working on the crabs and seahorses, and it's looking good. And, as a bonus, I am down to only 400 stitches in a row.

So. I took my camera to work with me the other day, and took some pictures while I was driving. Well, not actually driving.Stopped at stoplights, or waiting for someone to pull out of a parking spot, or something like that. I don't really have a deathwish. And, I didn't even look where I was pointing the camera. Just hopefully out the window. And, for the most part it worked. Some of these pictures can be more interesting when I figure out how to crop them. (Baby steps, people, babysteps.) The bottom picture is the Dinky station at Princeton, on the University grounds. I think every building there looks like it was built in the 1700's. In England. The top picture is the graveyard in Princeton. If you ignore the right half of the picture, where my windshield and support are, it might be a nice picture. See what I mean about cropping? Gotta learn how to do that.

I worked for the past few nights. Got home this morning really pooped. Woke up at four o'clock, and thought, wow, nice outside. I'll get the rest of the impatiens in. I've been trying to get these things in the ground for three weeks now. Walk out the front door, and it starts raining. Again. And, yes, it's another monsoon. Did I move to Oregon while I wasn't looking? What's with all this rain? Try again tomorrrow.

On the "I can't believe I did that" front, a slightly embarrassing moment. I bought two sets of landscape lighting with solar panels. We have lots of trees in our yard, and not a lot of sun. I was trying to light our path, but didn't want to use plug in lights - no handy plug nearby. So, I opted for solar lights. These are nice because they have a separate panel that I can put in the sun, while the lights are in the shade. So, install them, let them charge - great. One set works fine, the other doesn't. Hmmmm. Let them charge for a couple more days. No juice. So, thinking the batteries are dead, I pull the panel out of the ground to look at it. Oops. Off-on switch that I didn't see. And guess what, it's in the off position. So, flip it on, and everything is fine. Except, some of my kids think that's hilarious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home