Friday, July 14, 2006

267 Stitches.....


....that's what I'm down to on Creatures. I'm on row 93 right now, and I just ran out of yarn. The first skein, that is. Now, all I have to do is locate the other skein, wind it up (by hand - I don't have a skein winder, Yet.) Then, tie it on, and go. And, I might add, I'm in the middle of a row, and I am going to tie a knot. That's right. A knot. In the middle of the knitting. I know a lot of people would be thinking I should be plying the yarn, or some other solution, but I am going to use a knot. I have tied knots in my knitting before, worked them in, woven in the ends, and been perfectly happy with it. On the other hand, I have plied the yarn, felted it, and had it come apart in the middle of wearing a sweater. So, I am sticking with the tried-and-true here. This pattern is pretty busy, along with the variegation of the yarn, so I feel that this will be fine. If not, I'm not sure how many people are going to be inspecting this shawl with a magnifying glass. Anyway, I expect to zip right along once I've wound up the last skein. My only concern at this point is , will I have enough yarn? It took me one skein to do 93 1/2 rows. That leaves me with with 128 1/2 rows to do. Will I have enough? I hope so -and I think I will, because the widest part of the shawl is behind me already. The rows are getting shorter and shorter, so I think I can squeak through on this one. Oh, by the way, i finished with the starfish and am working on the third tiny bubbles section. I'm starting to think I might actually finish this before labor day. Hey, I can dream, can't I? This blob on my front porch is the entire shawl. Excuse the foot in last summer's Target flip-flops.

In case no one has noticed, summer is here. Hot, humid, sticky. I don't like summer all that much. However, yesterday and today are an ok type of summer day. Yesterday was actually not too hot, and really nice. Great temp, no humidity, weather I can deal with. Today is almost more of the same, except it is about 88, according to my weather pixie. Still, not to bad, because of the low humidity. I have the air turned off, windows open, and the fans on, and it isn't too bad. Still, I can't wait for fall. In the meantime, my shade gardens are a nice place to be.

It always amazes me how much the cats (seem to) enjoy summer. I mean, if I was wearing a non-removable fur coat, I don't think I'd be all that thrilled about it. I don't wear a fur coat, and I don't like summer. That's Frankie toasting himself in the open window.
There are little furry lumps sleeping all over my wood floors, and when the windows are open, each has a cat, or several, in them. Of course, maybe if I slept 20 hours a day, I might enjoy it as much as they do.

Oh, I almost forgot. I just bought several skeins of jaeger Trinity in a beautiful cornflower blue, and a paler blue. What am I going to do with it? Make Annie Modesett's corset tank, of course. I got a little extra yarn to make sleeves, in case I chicken out, which I probably will. My upper arms haven't seen the light of day in quite a while. Sometimes I long for the days when I was younger, and definitely skinnier. Part of me keeps telling me that I must be crazy to make this top for myself, and the other part of me keeps telling the first part to shut up, love your body, etc, etc. Aargh. I really want to make this.


1 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Blogger Life's a Stitch said...

Perfect colour for a sea creatures shawl. From the "L" above you in the Amazing Lace,
Li in Vancouver, BC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home