Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Aargghh!! I Missed International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

I forgot all about it until yesterday evening, when I was in the nursery with a new dad, who noted that his minutes-old son was born on International Talk Like A Pirate Day. He was amazed that I knew about it. Oh, well, there's always next year.

When I left work early this morning, I immediately noticed something that we haven't seen too much of in the last few months - very cool air. Not too cool for me-I think I'm part Eskimo, but my coworker was freezing. For me, it felt wonderful. I love cooler weather, and I'm at my best when it isn't hot. I felt so alive today, and the blahs that seemed to have gotten hold of me in August have disappeared. Armed with the essentials, I even went for a walk today.
I used to walk four miles or more nearly every day, but I stopped when I fractured my ankle back in January 2003. I started nursing school shortly thereafter, and between having no time, and a very sore ankle, I just kind of gave it up. Three years and 20 pounds later, I'm starting again. I took my digital camera, my cd player (I know - how retro - everyone has ipods these days. Not on my budget.), and Big Bad VooDoo Daddy, and, oh yeah, Advil. Christ, I hate getting old. I don't feel old, but my body lets me know every chance it gets that I am old. I have a very sore knee, so I do the best I can. And, for my first time walking in quite a while, I did a mile and a half. Yeah, I know, I'm no triathelete, but it's a start.

I'm nearly finished with Something Red. If I can stop blogging and reading other blogs tonight, I might actually finish it, except for the edging. It was been an interesting knit, and I really like the raglan-from-the-top-down style. I will definitely make this sweater again. I'm planning to make it in blue, and I might even search around for another yarn, and make a long sleeved version. I will never look like Wendy in it, unless I have my jaws wired shut. And, thanks to Chris's car for being my lovely model.

And, this came in the mail today. It's Noro Silk Garden in colorway 8, which is mainly blues.The third skein from the front is a surprise - it's mostly green, at least on the outside. This should make an interesting combination. What am I doing with this? Clapotis, of course. I really enjoyed this project. It was fairly simple, went fast, and looks great. not to mention, I think Silk Garden is solft, and feels great on my skin. And, it's incredibly warm. I'm thinkin' January and February, here, folks. I feeeze my butt off when I take the dog outside, and wait while he picks the perfect spot to pee. I love my other Clapotis, which still needs to be blocked. I promise I will get around to that soon.

Today was an incredible day. I did my best to not sleep through the whole day, and I did manage to haul myself out of bed at 3:30 pm. Not bad considering I went to bed at 10 am. But take a look at the outdoors today. I love the way the sun slants this time of year. During the summer, when the sun is high, it just looks hot, no matter what the temperature is. Now, the sun is lower, more shadows, brilliant blue sky - just perfect weather. I do have some leaves on the ground, and some of the trees are starting to show some tinges of color. Here in Central New Jersey, real fall color is a few weeks away, but there are always a few renegade trees who jump the gun.

And, in one of my flower beds I found these. Millions of them. The entire bed is sprouting little miniature mushrooms. It seems like they came up overnight. I don't remember seeing them there yesterday. We have other, bigger mushrooms growning around the yard, too. The squirrels eat them, and then we are treated to the sight of several squirrels running around the yard, acting like maniacs. I wonder what's in those mushrooms?

2 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I so love that sweater... I only hope that I get good enough to make something like that. We have tons of squirrels around here. They are totally funny to watch...

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Linda said...

It's actually a very easy to make sweater. I was surprised that is wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home