Monday, October 02, 2006

Underwhelmed

Gre
I finished Something Red last night, as you can see from the headless picture. This project has had its share of problems. I left it on the coffee table on Saturday night, and when I came home from work yesterday morning, it was fine. When I woke up, Chris informed me he found the ball of yarn wrapped around a chair or two, and unraveled all the way to the dining room. It had also been in someone's mouth; most likely the dog's. Ugh. I had to cut off the ball of yarn and start a new one, which meant even more ends. I don't think I'll use this yarn again. I don't like the way it hangs. It doesn't seem to hold it's shape. However, as I said in a previous post, for an around-the-house sweater, it's fine. I think the next time I make it, I'll make fewer short rows to make a shorter neck collar. I might go down a size. I'm not a small woman, but I made the next-to-largest size, thinking it might be too small, and I'm thinking it might be too big.

In celebration of finishing,I started this: Green Gables, in blue. I don't usually wear green, but I did see a deep jewel tone green that I like, and I'm thinking about it. In the meantime, I'm using Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Mariner Blue. Maybe it's just me, but I thought mariner Blue would be more of a brighter blue. At least, that's what it looked like on my monitor. In reality, it is more of a denimy blue, with a distinct lavender-purple undertone. Not what I was expecting, but I like it, and since I wear jeans 90% of the time anyway, it'll go with them. Right now, I'm working on the lacy front part. this is another top down sweater, which means (yay!) no seams, no sleeves to sew on. I could get used to this.

And, slightly off topic here: I wear very short, unpolished nails because I have to. I'm a nurse in a hospital nursery, and nail polish and artificial nails carry a lot of bacteria and fungi. It's easier to keep short unpolished nails clean. And, it's a requirement for my job. Just lettin' ya know, cuz I get tired of why-are-your-nails-so-short-and-plain?

And, in celebration of Socktober, I started these: a generic sock pattern, with a picot cuff. I am so tired of ribbing. I love the picot thing on socks, and although it takes a bit of time-consuming fiddling, it comes out nice. I'm using Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in Tropical Storm. I love these colors. Dark teal, purple, dark grey, deep turquoise blue - very jewel colors, which I love. The colors are actually much deeper and richer than they are in the picture. This is the closest I could get to the color, but the light washes the colors out a bit. Can't believe I'm paying $17.50 for yarn for a pair of socks. I usually buy most of my socks at Target. $17.50 would buy a hell of a lot of socks at Target!

I had a lot of time to knit today. I was so tired when I came home Sunday morning, I slept til 5:30 pm, which kind of shot the day, and made it impossible to sleep last night. So I have been buzzing around today on a caffiene high, so as to not spend yet another day sleeping. I love working nights, and the shift differential certainly comes in handy, but it creates sleeping havoc. I was on call for eight hours tonight, and was on the fence about being called in. I love the on-call pay, but I also love having a night home to see my family and just knit and relax.

1 Comments:

At 8:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I know about spending alot on sock yarn. But just think how nice they will be..LOL

As for saving buttons and putting them on your blog. Real easy.. First right click on the button. Then where it says "save picture as" click that and save it to your computer. Then go into photobucket and upload picture there. Right under the pic will be the url code. Thats all there is to it. If you need to know anything else just give me a yell and I will be glad to help.

Have a great week!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home