Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Found It





In my last post, I mentioned that I'd finally broken down and gotten a beige fabric with white figures on it for the background of the "Birds in Air" quilt blocks I unearthed in my closet. This morning, I unearthed something else in the closet. I noticed a flat underbed-type storage container, and curious as to what was in it, I pulled it out. Wow!! More quilt fabrics, a couple of crewel and needlepoint projects,
and best of all, the fabric that I forgot I bought for this quilt! White background, small blue print - just what I had in mind. I'm going to try to get at least a few of the blocks finished, so I can see what they look like.



And, on that note, meet my new baby. Thirty five years ago, I bought a top-of-the-line Singer Futura sewing machine. That machine went through a lot, and served me well for all that time. It finally met its end a few years ago, and I have been machine-less since. I missed having a machine, but since my husband didn't care to see me at the sewing machine (god forbid I might actually be enjoying myself!), it wasn't a priority. Then came three years of two jobs and school, and no time for enjoying anything. Now, I have quilts and curtains to finish, and clothes to mend, and other projects in mind. So, I need a machine, but since I don't make all my clothes any more like I used to, a top of the line machine isn't needed. Besides, the price of some of those machines took my breath away. I was looking at a basic Husqvarna, and that was coming in at over $600, which kind of made me gasp. I wanted a basic machine at a price that wasn't going to bankrupt me. I found this machine at Target, and I did check it out thoroughly. It seems to have good reviews, so I think it'll be ok for me. Even though it's basic, it's not the rock-bottm basic, and it has 120 stitches, along with some other interesting options. I think we'll get along just fine.

I grossly underestimated the amount of time it would take me to finish the gray afghan. I thought I would be finished by the beginning or middle of March. Heh. Here it is the middle of March, and I have 12 blocks finished, with 8 to go. I started the 13th block tonight, but this is clearly going to take a while, especially since most of the remaining eight blocks have cables, etc. on them, which will increase the time it takes to knit each block. Oh well. I'd hoped to have this finished by now, but I'm going to have to wing it now.

We had beautiful weather today. It reached 79 degrees! Not bad for March 14, hmm? We are supposed to have thunderstorms tonight, and tomorrow, but so far, I haven't seen anything but clouds. Another warm day tomorrow, and then it's back to freeze-your-butt off temps. I had all the windows open today, much to the delight of every feline in the house. And, lucky Hobbes got to go outside with Chris this afternoon. There are some Dutch crocus blooming in the left of this picture. They seem to have very floppy stems this year, as do my daffodils, which are also blooming while laying down on the ground.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home