Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Upside Of Things

A few days ago, I was grumbling about the high price of gas. A comment was left that at least in NJ, we are not allowed to pump our own gas, plus our gas prices are lower than many surrounding states, so in essence, we get full-service for much less than people in other states pay to pump their own. And it brought to mind a campaign several years ago, and widely reported in the Asbury Park Press, to allow New Jerseyians to pump their own gas. It may have been one of their columnists who was pushing for this; I don't remember. But I do remember thinking, "what the heck?" Why do I want to pump my own gas? Why do I want to go to work or wherever, smelling like a gas pump? Why do I want to stand out in rain, winds, snow, whatever to pump my own gas? The gas prices WEREN'T going to go down if we were "allowed" to pump our own. Thank heavens this nitwit didn't get far with his campaign to do this. Sheesh. I live only a few miles from the Pennsylvania border, and I am always astounded at the difference in price over the bridge. No wonder Pennsylvanians who work here in NJ fill up here.

On a different note, Waffles is still hanging in there. We had to rehydrate him yesterday, but today he is only mildly dehydrated, and has quite an appetite. I know some of this is due to the steroids he received on Friday, but he looks happy and better today. Jon came home from college last night to spend some time with him, and took him out for a supervised walk through the yard today. He has eaten nearly two small cans of cat food today, so we're feeding him whatever he will eat. We know we don't have too much time left with him; but he isn't in pain, and is still clear-eyed, using the litter box, and going up and down stairs, so we're taking it a day at a time right now.

I'm thinking I may be starting another project, after all. My niece is getting married in June, and I think a shawl may be nice for the reception venue, especially if they have the air conditioning system set at "arctic", as many venues do. I have some Lorna's Laces yarn in "somerset", which I like, but that pink in it is a tad too pink for my taste; hopefully it will not be so as it is knitted up. I don't have a picture today, as I just thought of it, so I'll try to post one tomorrow. I'm going to get the swift and ball-winder, and hope for the best with this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home