Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Survivors

Although my true love is knitting, I find crochet very satisfying at certain times. Like now, when I'm tired and frustrated and wondering if I'm going to lose this cat. I had to rehydrate him today, and he really rebelled. It was difficult to do with him wiggling around, I wound up wearing nearly as much saline solution as I managed to get in him, which was the required amount.

Anyway. Crochet. Round and round, all those rounds add up to some thing pretty neat. I don't crochet sweaters, unless I'm looking for a very open, lacy effect, and even then, I'm more likely to knit a lace pattern. I love knitted lace, but that's a subject for another day. And given the fact that I've ignored the lace shawl I'm working on, it's a pretty weird statement.

Crochet is just mindless to me. Round and round, join another color, more stitches, end it, throw it in the pile, and pretty soon, I have another afghan. As I stated before, I make my afghans out of acrylic yarn, which I know makes some people shudder. I don't care. A wool afghan costing upwards of $100 makes no sense in this house. When my kids were young, they would put them on the bare floor when they were playing video games, or just watching tv. In colder weather, they would wrap up in them on the couch. They played with the afghans. They made them into tents over furniture. The afghans went with us the the fireworks on one particularly cold July 4. I have pictures of the kids wrapped in these afghans. The cats sleep on them. The dog adores them. They go in the washer and dryer once or twice a week. They survive. I have afghans I made 30 years ago and more. I don't have to worry about them. They are the workhorses of my home. I like it that way.

Four nights in a row coming up at work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home