Sunday, June 05, 2011

What's On My Cutting Board



Pieces for a Thousand Pyramids quilt. I first cut these pieces in 2007, right after my mother died. I don't know what I was thinking, because when I pulled this UFO out of my closet the other day, and started sewing the pieces together, I noticed that they weren't going together right. Grabbed my Tri-Rec tool, and checked the pyramids. Wow. Some were too short, some were too wide, and some were just too much of anything to be useful. I trimmed the too wide or too long ones, lopped off the too short ones to make smaller pyramids for other blocks, and got to work. I also cut some new pyramids from some batiks. I'm hoping to get a kind of "oceany" feeling from this quilt. I'm trying to go with blues, greens, turquoises, things that remind me of the ocean and sea glass. Now that everything is cut to the right size, it's going together really fast.

I was also wondering why I do marathon quilt sessions when there is a death in my family. As Isaid, I started this quilt in 2007 when my mom died. I also started another quilt, which I will eventually post pictures of. For that quilt, I cut out nearly 3,000 pieces in two days, and over 800 pyramids for this quilt in the same amount of time. I quilted for a couple of months, and then just hit a wall, and didn't do any crafts for a while. I eventually went to knitting, which I still do, and didn't quilt much until this January, when I found out my beloved cat, Gremlin, was in the last stages of cancer. He had always spent a lot of time in my room, but used to come out and sleep on the back of the couch in the family room if I was there reading or watching tv or knitting. If I was on the computer, he'd be sleeping on the desk with me. As he got sicker, he rarely left my room at all. My sewing machine is in there, so I restarted quilting to spend time with him. I'd like to think that this burst of activity on my part will continue, especially since I have so many quilt tops in various stages of completion!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home