Saturday, October 01, 2011

It Followed Me Home - Can I Keep It?



I've been looking forward to the Quilts On High show in Burlington County for nearly a month now. Put on by Olde City Quilts in Burlington, NJ, the pamphlet promised 500 quilts! Wow! I was itching to go to that show. And since it was to be outdoors, along High Street, keeping my fingers crossed for nice weather. We haven't had much of that lately. Once again this week, it's been rain, rain, and more rain. I think if I look carefully, I have rudimentary gills growing. However, the nice people at the Weather Channel gave me hope. Looking at the long range forecast at the beginning of the week, there were the familiar little thunderstorm icons under every day except, lo and behold, Friday AND Saturday! Could it be true? Could we really be able to participate in something that could be loosely grouped under Outdoor Activities? Really? An outdoor activity that did not involve a raincoat, umbrella, boots, bailing pail, water pump, rowboat or snorkel? I checked that little icon every day, and everyday the little sun was sitting there right under the word "Saturday". Until, that is, Thursday. I brought up the weekend forecast on weather dot com, and there it was. A raincloud. On Saturday. 60% chance of rain. And, given the fact that we have just had the wettest summer (and August) in history, I just knew it would be 60 percenting all over the place.

When I woke up this morning, there were dark murky clouds covering the sky, and the roads were wet. Crud. However, Olde City Quilts said that the show would go on rain or shine, and a quick check of their facebook page upheld this. The show had been moved indoors, to the Quaker Meeting House, and a few empty storefronts, but it was going on. I'm so glad I went. I've been to quilt shows where every quilt is completely spectacular, giving me the feeling that these quilts were not made my mere mortals. Talk about inferiority complex! Now, not to say that these quilts today were not spectacular, because they were, but when I looked at some of them, I could see points that had been nipped off, and some blocks were not matched perfectly. I can't tell you how happy that made me. These quilts were gorgeous in spite of tiny imperfections. I had a great time, and loved seeing everything. It would have been wonderful to have this show outdoors as planned, but I still loved it.

I swore that I would not buy any fabric. I have enough fabric right now to make a quilt for every citizen of any small country you could pick. So, naturally, before I go, I'm trolling around on the web while eating breakfast, and I come across a blog I've never seen before, by Sill Mama Quilts. And there is a gorgeous small quilt made with Kate Spain Terrain fabrics. Well. I've seen Terrain fabrics on Moda's site before, and I wasn't impressed. I don't know, maybe they need to have better color reproductions on their site, but the fabrics in this photo of the quilt looked drop-dead beautiful. So anyway, to make a long story short (why couldn't I write this much when I was in high school and had to produce a 500 word essay overnight?), I stopped in Olde City just before I went home. What's the first thing I see when I walk in the front door?? You got it, a display of Terrain, looking even more gorgeous than the quilt picture, and certainly more appealing than on Moda's site! Somehow or another, I wound up with two yards of Footpath in Foliage, and 5 half-yard cuts of a few others in that line. Honest mom, can I keep it?

Some images of the quilts:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home